Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Calf Pulling

Thanks to the 3 people who commented on my blog. Its nice to know that someone has read it.... even if it was actually only 2 people because my sister said 2 things and the other was my brother. Its cool.... we are nothing without our family.

To continue with adventures on the ranch.... I recently experienced my first calf pull. This may require some defining. It is actually helping a cow give birth to a calf who was stuck. Very fun. Kdoll rode out on a horse.... and got the cow into the corral. Now the reason that we knew she was having a calf in the first place, was because there were 2 little hooves sticking out of her.... ummmm..... booty. It was super cool...... but she was really ticked off. This is kind of typical of new momma cows.... they are like what the heck is happening to my body.... I don't like it. Frankly.... I've been there. So cowboy Joe and I get this calf into the shoot.... this is done by waving sticks and yelling on my husband's part.... and some singing on my part. I called her Bessie (not too original) and there was some singing involved. I think my husband was actually embarrassed and probably glad our nearest neighbor is a few miles away. My job was to distract her while K shut the gate to lock her into place. Try distracting a pissed off cow with a baby hanging out. Not easy. But I did get to climb some fences and I was wearing cute cowgirl boots.... so that part was fun. Once we got her place.....K got in the shoot with her.... and had to put these chains around the calfs hooves. My job was to hold the chains. Of course.... not having done this before.... I did it wrong... and he was like.... if the cow gets mad and sucks the calf back in her... your hand will go with her. Ummmm whhhaaat??? I quickly altered my chain holding technique. So then.... he attaches the chain to a calf pulling apparatus and yanks that sucker out. Beautiful. A new little life. I welcomed it to the world.... it was all wet and covered just like a baby.... although not like my babies because mine had no hair.... and obviously a calf has hair.... and weighed like 90 lbs. No wonder that cow was mad. But now the baby is doing well and the momma is doing well.... so there is a happy ending after all. Ahhhhhhh.

2 comments:

susanke said...

This definitely brings back memories of life on the farm. I can so relate even though that was more than thirty years ago. Pardon me, I'm dating myself now. Keep the blogs coming.

Linny Jane Vintage said...

Oh man - this is hysterical. I liked the part about Bessie and the singing. You are like the cow whisperer.