Monday, June 28, 2010

Strawberries

Two days in a row. I am setting my own personal record right now. Good day here in the heartland. Started off the day picking strawberries out of the world's largest strawberry patch. Ok... not really the world's largest... but it would feel like that to me if I had to be in charge of it. I have the smallest patch and today I told C1 to go pick strawberries... and he was like "there are no strawberries mom." What? And I told he better come up with one and he couldn't. But my dear friend is queen of the strawberries and graciously lets me come pick. So I came home and weeded my garden bc hers was inspirational. PS not going to be planting carrots next year. If I try, please someone stop me.... bc every year I cuss the finding of carrots amongst the weeds. Does anyone have any ideas for how to grow carrots successfully without weeds? The problem is that carrots take a long time to come up and the weeds come up faster. And when I ask does anyone have a solution... I think that is funny bc I have one follower. And I think I have already asked her.

After strawberry picking... comes strawberry processing. I have this great recipe of an old, dear friend Anne. Anne was one of my best friends growing up. Molly and Anne pretty much defined junior high for me. Anne always had the coolest clothes, wore Clinique make up before anyone else did, and introduced me to Teen magazine. And she was nice and pretty and smart. I perhaps could have been smarter if I hadn't spent so much time passing notes instead of paying attention. Remember that? Passing notes instead of texting? I bet kids these days don't even know how to fold a note in a decent triangle fashion. Molly could fold them in the shape of shirt.. she was super cool too. Anyway... made some jam... and I might even enter it in the county fair. I have never entered anything in the county fair... but this year I might. If the jam turns out.

Things I told my children today: "Quit hitting your brother on the head with bread." C2 hitting C1 with a deal of buns. Also had to tell them to get all the gutters out of the pool as while I was fixing lunch... they detached all of the drain pipes from the gutters and had them in the pool.

After berry picking, jam making, and hanging laundry on the line... we went to swim lessons and then I had friend over to sit on the deck and visit. Which will require a whole other post. But a lady at pool had some wise words to share with me. She is a fellow MOB (mother of boys) and we were discussing how to get over wanting a daughter. She said that she prayed about it... and in the end came to the conclusion that God had chosen to bless her with boys. He had not chosen to bless her with girls. And that was that. We don't know why God chooses some blessings for some and some blessings for others... but He is does. Wise words Mrs. Pool Lady.

No comments: